- Principal Designer
With effect from the 6th April 2015, the old CDM Regulations 2007 (CDM 2007) were replaced with the new CDM Regulations 2015 (CDM 2015); The purpose of CDM 2015 is to improve the health and safety of the workplace by placing legal duties on all those involved in projects who can influence and contribute to these areas.
Cassidy + Ashton has the relevant experience to carry out the Principal Designer (PD) role in that we have excellent understanding of the construction industry and the skills and knowledge to carry out the role.
Cassidy + Ashton’s role as Principal Designer
As Principal Designer, Cassidy + Ashton will carry out the following:
- Plan, manage, monitor and coordinate the health and safety of the pre-construction information of a project.
- Assess the client’s pre-construction information, providing advice and assistance to successfully compile the necessary details.
- Identify and eliminate risk associated with design elements. Reduce and control any foreseeable risk.
- Ensure coordination and cooperation with the project team and other design consultants.
- Liaise with the Principal Contractor (PC) for the duration of the project. As Principal Designer we will provide the necessary pre-construction information covering the planning, management, monitoring and co-ordination of the construction phase, ensuring that the PC has the information required to prepare a construction phase plan.
- Work with Domestic Clients. Working with Domestic Clients is not different to working for a Commercial Client. There is only one exception, which is that Domestic Clients can relinquish their client duties with written agreement between the client and Cassidy + Ashton, the PD. We will then fulfill all client duties.
- Compile, review, update and revise a projects Health and Safety file as a project progresses. Upon completion we will pass the Health & Safety file to the client to retain.
Which one are you?
A client is an organisation or individual having a construction project carried out in connection with a business.
You are a domestic client if you’re having building work carried out which is not connected to running a business, typically on the property where you or a family member lives.
A designer is someone who as part of a business, prepares or modifies designs for a building, product or system relating to construction work.
A principal designer is appointed by the client of projects with more than one contractor. It can be an organisation or an individual with sufficient knowledge, experience and ability to carry out the role.
A contractor is the individual or organisation doing the actual construction work.
A principal contractor is appointed by the client to plan, manage, monitor and co-ordinate health and safety during the construction phase of a project when there’s more than one contractor involved.
A worker is an individual working for or under the control of contractors on a construction site.
For more information on the CDM 2015 regulations from the HSE and CITB, please click on the following links:
Got an enquiry?
Get in touch below and we will get back to you as soon as possible.