Sixth Form Centre, Lancaster Girls’ Grammar School
In May 2011 Cassidy + Ashton was appointed by Lancaster Girls’ Grammar School (LGGS) to assist in preparing a bid for funding from the School Academies Capital Maintenance fund. The funding was secured in July 2011 and was required to improve the existing sixth form facilities.
The school site as a whole presented many challenges to any proposals for new build / extension projects. Open space is extremely limited and there were significant topographical constraints across the entire site.
LGGS is situated in the city’s castle conservation area and the site is bordered by a number of listed buildings. The main school building was constructed between 1912–1914 and is a Grade II listed designated heritage asset. Planning consent for the scheme was granted in December 2011 following significant consultation with Places Matter design review panel, the body responsible for promoting good design in architecture and the built environment throughout the North West.
The works were necessary in order to upgrade the existing sixth form accommodation which is in poor condition, and to create a separately identifiable building to meet the 21st century needs of the school.